Help us keep Indiana drivers safe on the road.
- THE FACTS:
- Each day in the U.S., more than 9 people are killed and more than 1,153 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.
- 80% of crashes involve some form of driver inattention within 3 seconds of the incident
- There are now more crashes related to texting & driving than drinking & driving
- 57% of American drivers admit to texting behind the wheel
- The average text takes your eyes of the road for nearly 5 seconds – driving 55mph in 5 seconds travels the length of a football field.
- People who text & drive are 23 times more likely to crash
You may purchase the IMTA "Put the Phone Down" plate at any Indiana BMV license branch or certified partner location or at myBMV. If you already have an IMTA plate and are renewing your registration, you will not receive the new plate design until you are scheduled by the BMV to receive a new metal plate (In January 2016, the BMV rule extended the life cycle of Indiana plates from 5 years to 7 years). You may request, at any time, the new design by paying an additional plate swap fee of $10.25.
The IMTA "Put the Phone Down" plate may be registered on passenger cars, trucks up to 11,000 lb., motorcycles, and recreational vehicles. The plate may be purchased for $40, with $25 being returned to the IMTA for distracted driving programs.
Low Digit Plate: A low digit plate may be available for an additional fee. The fee charged by the BMV is due upon first issuance and again at the beginning of the new plate life cycle after 5 years. If you are interested in securing a low digit plate, please contact Barbara Hunt at email@example.com. The BMV requires that you produce a signed, low-digit release form from the IMTA in order to complete your request for a low-digit plate.
CLICK here for more information and access to myBMV website.